Saturday, June 6, 2009

It has been a busy week!

It has been a UBER busy week! YOU would not believe what I have been doing, and what MORE I have to do....quite frankly I am overwhelmed and really am not sure where to start....(between packing up my classroom, getting work out, finishing claywork, grades, and the checklist that I have to complete before friday...HUH! )that's why i am blogging, I guess....escape...ahh! sweet esape...

anyway...enough of that...( I really need to make lists, don't I?)

Have you checked out GUTTER GIRLZ BLOG ? SeRiOuSLY! YOU need to check it out...just hit the link...The pictures alone will inspire you to be a more meaningful scrapbook...journal artist...so fabulous...you need to put that on your TO DO list...I am so serious about this one....

That brings me to another subject...Why in the HELL is there an negative connotation to scrapbooking among fine artists and well, artists in general...


There is NOTHING I hate more (especailly as an art teacher...) to hear someone say...Oh, you scrapbook....(you can imagine...a monotoned, unenthused...voice...blah!) UNTIL....until they see my work..then they are like....OH! YOU ARE A SCRAPBOOK ARTIST! YAY! RAH! RAH! can you TEACH me how to do THAT?...what can you say to that...? well, I CANT teach you(this..you know... it's taken YEARS AND YEARS to PERFECT my..er....style...*hint o' sarcasim inserted")_ I guess thats what you call it.., except we can hang out while we scrapbook.....that would be so cool!, because I love LOVE love to scrapbook with people...(thats no joke) its probably the main reason I got into scrapbooking...other than the SUPER COOL, OUT OF THIS WORLD tools...that I can't get enough of ....I truly love being around people, thats were I get my inspiration from....things said, things done, things unsaid or undone...in my own fashion, kinda giving it a little torque for good measure....so I probably should be planning a crop of sorts....
maybe I will...that would be cool, huh?

I love all my scrapbook friends, they are freaking awesome...so kind, and generous, and absolutely creative...They inspire me & I love them....

so to get back....I hate that some people dont get the gist of scrapbooking....really I hate the old stereotype of the old school CM...style...picture, picture, picture...sticker sticker,,sticker there too...and a title...usually not big enough to balance out the pictures....kinda floating....with WAY too much negative space.....now....fast forward 10 years ...hell, even five years...scrapbooking has been changed....by pulling fine art media into the mix...its awesome...I love it....it feels good and I am sure that this hobby...lifestyle of mine has just evolved....for most....I have always used paint, and ink and glue and collage techniques....but now it is HIP and cool...you know what I say about that? ITS ABOUT FREAKING TIME!!!!!
This is a cover of a book I did at the beach during spring break...its a paper bag book, like a medium bag, not a lunch bag....it has been bound by a zutter bind it all...i painted, doodled and embellished it with stickers and my dymo...have I mentioned before that I LOVE the SIGNO pen...SIGNO ROCKS! the stickers are a mixed bag and the hearts came from a valentine collection from Making Memories.

As far as I am concerned, I see scrapbooking as journals...my GIANT 12x12 journal pages....(I obviously don't ONLY do 12x12....) but even those pages I slip into sleeves and put in a scrapbook are still moments that i have journaled in a very artful and meaningful way....I am really trying to find a way to share that with people....

I really hope to get on a Design team this summer, If not I will be here...on my blog....sharing my artwork and general ramblings...life is good....life is UBER good....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here's the gist.....

Richmond, VA, United States
art teacher,artist,mom to little boys,wife,daydreamer, lover, giver, laugher,thrift store junkie, tomato gardener, technophile, beer drinker, painter,black and white photographer, friend, follower,believer,music buff, leader, outsider, educator, no-so mass producer, scrapper,straight talker,printmaker,nascar wannabe, deal breaker, risk taker..lots more than meets the eye....

jens art

Followers